segunda-feira, 27 de julho de 2015

1 week of success, 1 week of failure. What does building a routine mean?

Although I'd like to have written this blogpost at least one week ago, I was just able to do it today. And the reason for this is strictly connected to today's post topic: the difficulties of building a routine.

In my case, it is not like I am an irresponsible completely-out-of-any-routine person. I studied early in the morning for four years and a half during college. It has 6 years that I've been trying to take care of my meals to make them healthy for my body and my mind. I currently have a full time job and I am committed to it, waking up early in the morning to avoid being late. But even though I am/was engaged in those situations, I ended up experiencing a giant failure during my second building-habits week. We could simply say that this failure showed me that habits are difficult to build, but in my case it has shown even more. It made clear to myself that habits can't be broken. They simply can't! Let's see why:

The first week I started my routine, I was very committed to it. I woke up every morning at least two hours before my usual time, so I was able to watch some of my language learning videos during early morning. Then I went to my job, came back home in the evening and started studying some of the reading materials included in my study routine. I set to myself that only after completing every item of my daily routine I would be able to take a rest and do whatever I wanted (which was btw watching Netflix). It worked well from Monday until Saturday. Most of my routine activities were planned to be held during weekdays, but there are just two items that was supposed to be studied during weekends: studying some lessons of two Japanese grammar books, which takes about 30 minutes a day. Saturday everything went OK, but then Sunday came. I went to my parents house and took my grammar books with me. I am sure I had a lot of opportunities to read them, but I kind of deceived myself saying that I had no time and then I skipped that simple, single routine activity planned for that day. It was like a bomb. Breaking the rule just one single day, even though it was a simple duty, threw my successful week away, and also turned out to be the trigger for an entire week of complete failure. I studied nothing during the second week. Like nothing. In one week I was really successful and was able to complete everything, but then the next week was crazily unproductive.

This week I'll be waiting for the better, hoping to have a more positive post next time. For today, what we have is a learning from a mistake.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário